Living in Germany post-Brexit

Since Brexit happened and everything has been firmed up, UK nationals who live in Germany require a residence permit. That process is surprisingly straightforward.


Studying in Germany is possible and requires a student visa. The same applies to vocational training. You can also apply for a permit to set up a self-employed business or incorporate a company. Researchers at universities are also welcome with an offer from a university. If you want to work in Germany and have done vocational training or have a university degree, you are good to go after applying for a job seeker’s visa. Head to Germany and find a job that allows you to apply for an employer-binding residence permit. With a job offer in your pocket, you can apply for a permit straightway. However, obtaining a residence permit in Germany is nearly impossible without vocational training or a university degree. UK degrees now need to be officially recognised in Germany.

Speaking German

Health insurance is required, which you get once you work or study. Speaking German to level B1 is a requirement for some permits. It goes without saying: you ought to speak German in Germany! Check out this comprehensive website for further info:

You won’t need a visa to travel to Germany for business or a visit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *